Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Pittance of Time

In honour of Remembrance Day, (which, for you Americans who haven't heard, is kind of like your Veteran's Day), this video is really good. It's based on the real experience of Terry Kelly (the singer/songwriter) who was in a Shoppers Drug Mart in 1999 when this really happened - except for the part at the end of course. Terry was so angered by the man's disrespect and the poor example he was setting for his child, that he wrote and recorded this song on his next CD. I feel guilty for not wearing a poppy today, but they don't exist down here, so instead I've passed this on. Enjoy...

3 comments:

TweedleDea said...

Oh that was so lovely. I feel so strongly about Rememberance Day, I really think it's something that we need to hold onto, and I worry that it's being lost. While there are other wars to remember, I think it's important to remember what Rememberance Day stands for, ie WW1 and WW2. So anyhow, rather than me prattle on here on it's importance, I've prattled at my place... and plan to prattle a little more.

again many thanks.
and the Poppies... I'm lost without one, I feel like I've been disrespectful not wearing one. I think next year I will get some sent to me.

TweedleDea said...

on re-reading that, I made a mistake, I think that we should also remember the world wars. Since the vets from those wars are dying, and with other wars since then, we are forgetting to remember those ones. Remembering all of the veterans past and present is equally important.

The Turcotte's said...

That is a really moving song - I played that song last year at the Remembrance Day ceremony that I planned for the primary grades at our school. It is so important to instill the importance of Remembrance Day to our little ones. We made our annual trip to the cenotaph on Saturday and watched the laying of the wreaths and took part in the service. It's amazing at such a young age, my kids understand the importance of showing respect to this. I was very pleased with their behaviour.
On another note, we heard on the radio that there are only 3 veterans alive from the first world war.
I could send you a poppy next year if you'd like - I would feel weird without wearing one as well.