Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bye Fly

Princess Z likes bugs. (And spiders, which aren't technically bugs, apparently.) And worms. And so Princess Z has a new bug catcher. But it's been pretty rainy in our parts lately and not ideal bug hunting weather, so she's resorted to a more domestic prey - the common housefly!

The other day she finally caught one - after much pouncing, climbing and general acrobatics - including fighting off the cat who thought the fly would make a delicious snack. And Sam, as he was named, had a lovely home with leaves and sticks and lots of air. I'm sure he was thrilled. But no amount of love is going to fight the fact that you're a house fly and you're going to kick it any minute.

A very distraught 5 3/4 year old came to wake me up at 5:45am to tell me that he was dead. I expressed my sympathies and rolled back over, mumbling something like 'getbacktobed,don'twakeupKieran,eatyourcerealatthetable,notinfrontofthetv.'

A while later, I got up and this is what I found in the living room - a funeral service in progress. There are moments in parenting when I'm not sure when to be really impressed/proud/amused & when to start worrying...


RIP Mr. Fly
And yes, we do use Charmin :)

No comments: